Volunteer Park

Volunteer Park Origins

VOLUNTEER PARK

C Company Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots moved their HQ from Torphichen to Armadale around 1880. They had a hall in South Street and trained at the Volunteer field in North Street. In 1881, Armadale Star FC were granted use of the park provided they joined the Volunteers. They did and changed their name to Armadale Volunteers FC. The ground became the home of Armadale FC in September 1889. The volunteer training moved to Heatherfield. It is one of the oldest football grounds in the country. It holds the attendance record for West Lothian and has been a popular venue for schoolboy internationals and cup finals.

The south end of the ground was raised in 1920 using builders’ nibble from the new Council houses in the Greig Crescent area. The terracing was raised again in 1955 but lowered and flattened out in the early 1990s. A grandstand holding 700 was erected in the early 1920s but destroyed by fire in the mid-1930s. A covered enclosure was created in 1950 and 103 tip-up seats and twenty forms from the Star Theatre installed although these were gone by the early 1960s. The enclosure was part funded by the sale of land to the Town Council to create a boundary wall and lane to the new Burns Avenue scheme. Floodlights were installed in 1954 – mostly for glamour friendlies – though, in 1956, Armadale hosted Rosewell Rosedale in the first floodlit competitive junior match.

Directions:

Advertisements

Posted 06/07/2011 by armadalethistle